Everyone loves a good hack. You’ve read about ones for computers, cooking, even packing a suitcase. But what about your body? Think about every time you’ve been inundated with hiccups and you just want to know a surefire way to make them disappear. Or when you’re in an important meeting and that coughing fit ensues?
We’ve asked our friends, scoured the internet and searched Reddit to come up with some interesting biological life hacks that might just work for you.
8 Biological Life Hacks:
- You need to catch an early flight in the morning but it’s messing with your regular sleep schedule. If you’re worried you’re not going to wake up in time because of the early hour, drink a full glass of whatever just before bedtime. Your body will let you know it’s time to get up, even if it’s not used to it.
- There is nothing worse than trying to fall asleep in the dead of Summer. You’ve got the fan on, the blankets off and you’ve banned your partner to the other side of the bed. But it’s still not working. Head to the bathroom and dab cold water on your wrists and and the back of your neck – these small spots will bring your entire body’s temperature down.
- Suffer from acid reflux? Try sleeping with two pillows. The elevation will keep it down, helping you get a better night’s rest.
- Taking a warm shower just before you go to bed will kickstart falling asleep. As your body’s temperature starts to drop when you get into bed, your brain will interpret that as the first stages of sleep and will speed up the process.
- Lost your glasses and struggling to read a sign or a page? Try the pinhole effect. Making a tiny hole with your hand will instantly make whatever you’re focusing on clearer.
- There is nothing worse than tucking into a delicious bowl of ice-cream only to be overcome by a bout of brain freeze. Try to push your tongue onto the roof of your mouth, warming it up and decreasing the pain in your brain.
- Everyone can relate to the pain of stubbing your toe. Next time it happens pinch yourself somewhere else and focus your attention on that sensation. Your brain will assume that the pinching is worse than the pain you feel in your toe and it will soon subside.
- Got the hiccups? Breathe in deeply, swallow twice and then exhale out your nose. When you’ve got the hiccups, your diaphragm is spasming and this will help to relax it.
Here’s to hoping some of these life hacks make your life a little easier!